The official student news site of Springbrook High School.

The Blueprint

Trump orders controversial immigration policy

by Luka Yetter, Staff Writer

“We should embrace our immigrant roots and recognize that newcomers to our land are not part of the problem, they are part of the solution,” Roger Mahony said.

Donald Trump last week ordered one of the most controversial executive orders that banned the entrance of immigrants from seven majority Muslim countries.

Just last week, President Trump fulfilled a promise he made during his election campaign to ban Muslim immigrants from countries, Sudan, Somalia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Libya. A move said to be in place to ban “terrorists” but instead bans Islam.

It’s extremely embarrassing that a country known for respecting the freedom of religion is attempting to implement a ban on a religion which according to the constitution is illegal.

We’ve been told to give our new President a chance, but if he doesn’t follow the very same doctrine that he swore to uphold, how can the American people sit around and give him a chance?

Nearly 75 years ago, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt passed a similar act out of fear, placing Japanese Americans in internment camps for the false and unjust fear of betrayal.

Many of the men, women, and children who are affected by Trump’s order are regular people trying to get out of the very real and prominent danger that is in their counties, and come to the United States, a free and democratic country.

Samira Asgari is an Iranian woman who was issued a visa by the United States. She was in Switzerland getting her Ph.D. and would be attending Bermingham and Women’s hospital in Boston to start her postdoctoral fellowship. She was ready to start a new life, selling her apartment and packing all she could to take with her to begin her new chapter. She was getting ready to board the plane when she was stopped and was denied to board because her visa was invalid due to Trump’s executive order. Asgari is now in Switzerland with no home and no plan. Her attempt to start a new life had been halted all because of Trump’s Ban.

Those who wrote and made the policy obviously aren’t familiar with the immigration laws that are already in place and the hard and thorough vetting process that America has.

The average wait for refugee is 18 to 24 months and sometimes several years. This ban, even if it is temporary, will set back these interviews and could leave millions helpless and no place to go.

According to a study by the Cato Institute, out of the millions of refugees resettled in the United States over the past several decades only 20 have committed or attempted attacks on American people. Only three American people were killed and these events happened in the 1970’s.The danger that Trump claims to be protecting us from can not be justified

Whether or not Trump likes it he can not deny that there is no danger and his judgment is clouded by a fear that’s not there.

• Trump orders controversial immigration policy

Entertainment

Wonder Woman Saves DCU

Showcase

Nya signs with Wake Forest to continue football career

Devils OT Sports Blog

NBA Top 10 moments in the season

Opinion

The evolution of Prom

News

MCPS Struggles To Close Achievement Gap

Entertainment

’13 Reasons Why’ changes the game for Netflix shows

Entertainment

Khalid’s ‘American Teen’ hits the charts

Feature

Partners in Rhyme: Joony & Max.Freetown

Showcase

Track team sprints into nationals

Showcase

Bocce on a roll to their first state championship