The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Springbrook’s Mock Trial Mastery

Springbrook’s Mock Trial team continued to dominate this year, finishing their season as the #2 team in the county.

On Thursday, February 22nd, members of the Justice, Law, & Society (JLS) at Springbrook High School visited the University of the District of Columbia David A. Clarke School of Law, a Historically Black law school in Washington, D.C. The visit surpassed conventional classroom experiences, offering students a unique opportunity to engage with a panel of professionals, including paralegals, law students, and individuals with prior incarceration experiences. They discussed topics such as reentry into society and the current state of prisons in America.

Hemien Temesgen, a second-year JLS student and mock trial witness, shared his perspective, stating, “It was enlightening to talk to people who have firsthand witnessed the injustices in the system.”

The inclusive approach of allowing students to directly interact with the panelists enabled them to gain diverse perspectives on the legal system, comprehend the challenges faced by different individuals within it, and explore potential pathways within the legal field.

Alexander Gomez-Munoz, a second-year JLS student and lawyer on the mock trial team, reflected, “It taught me a lot about racial disparities.”

The team is led by captains Carl Dexter and Yoseph Zerihun, along with Attorney Coach Ed Crooke, who is not only the father of three Springbrook students but also a phenomenal trial attorney.

Mock Trial Roster 2024:
  1. Leoul Ayalew
  2. Jack Bentley
  3. Matt Cho
  4. Kai Cleary
  5. Kima Taylor
  6. Owen Crooke
  7. Nabiot Dube
  8. Alexander Gomez-Munoz
  9. Gabriel Gyaase
  10. Amber Li
  11. Madeline Macias
  12. Chanel Mack
  13. Joshua Quezada Martinez
  14. Meher Singh
  15. Hemien Temesgen
  16. Winta Tesfaye
  17. Aurora Watkins
  18. Dayana Weiss
  19. Melat Wonde
  20. Natna Zena
  21. Carl Dexter
  22. Pranshu Tyagi
  23. Yoseph Zerihun