First STEM fair deemed a success

On March 19, 2014, in team room two, Springbrook High School hosted its first STEM fair.

A STEM fair is where students make projects about science, technology, engineering and math to help raise awareness that there are many opportunities in those fields.

This fair was planned by head of the Science department, Serenity Moore and sophomore Nikoo  Darakhshan for Darakhshan’s MYP project. Darakhshan said that they had to follow Montgomery County rules and regulations in order to be allowed to host the event on school grounds.

“We’ve been planning this fair since we were first given the MYP project papers,” sophomore Nikoo Darakhshan said.

When the fair was first planned out, there were many problems that Darakhshan and  Moore faced. One example is that there was supposed to be up to four or five projects but as the date grew closer, only two projects had been completed.

“It was pretty hard to put this together and getting parts to get the fair together and it was a huge process but it all came out good in the end,” freshman Ebenezer Arunkumar said.

There was an animal exhibit that contained baby chickens and two other bird species and they had to stay at least 100 feet away from the food. Food was donated to the fair and cost $5. All of the profits from the food sales were sent to the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless.

As the fair began, there was a fair number of people but the atmosphere was extremely ecstatic.

“I had plenty of fun and enjoy seeing my fellow colleagues involved in scientific activities. The STEM fair was a great idea and I can not wait to see what is in store for the next few years and may even try to take part in one,” sophomore Jillian Koudry said.

Darakhshan plans to try and organize a STEM fair for the rest of her high school career in order to start a trend for future years, so if you like science, technology, engineering or mathematics, you could partake in the fair as soon as next year.