The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Springbrook Jazz Band Strikes a Chord at Adjudication & Clinics

On January 11th, 2024, Sherwood High School hosted the Montgomery County Public Schools Big Band Jazz Adjudication & Clinics. High schools from all over Montgomery County, such as Damascus HS, Gaithersburg HS, Rockville HS, and more, came together to participate in this wonderful adjudication and clinical experience under musical professionals. The Big Band Jazz Adjudicators & Clinicians included Paul Carr (Jazz Academy of Music), Shannon Gunn (Northern Virginia Community College), Dave Kauffman (Anne Arundel County Public Schools), Jim McFalls (Towson University), Tim Powell (University of Maryland), Kenny Rittenhouse (Morgan State University).

I had the opportunity to sit down with Ms. Irene Guggenheim-Triana, Springbrook’s Music Director, and discuss the adjudication. Regarding how she and the student participants were feeling on their way to the adjudication, she expressed, “I was pretty focused because I was checking over scores. Some students told me they were nervous, and some others said they were confident.”

The Springbrook Jazz Band had 15 to 20 minutes to warm up before their performance. During this time, Ms. GT states, “the room was not set up for the rhythm section, so their rhythm had to be simplified.”

The Springbrook HS Jazz Band played the following pieces: “Easy to Love” by Cole Porter arr. Paul Baker, “Misty” by Erroll Garner arr. Jerry Nowak, and “Sticks” by Julian Adderley arr. Mike Kamuf.

As for the other competitors at this event, Ms. GT expressed, “It was maybe 12 to 15 MCPS high schools. Luckily, we were able to watch Rockville HS and Seneca Valley HS perform.” She also added, “It was their first time performing at a Big Band Adjudication in a few years, so the group is still getting used to adjudication.” Despite not being familiar with this type of environment, the Springbrook HS Jazz Band still came through with their performance!

Reflecting on the adjudication and clinics, Ms. GT expressed some feedback about the event, “I had a few frustrations about the way we were miked. During our flute and piano solos, the players weren’t miked very well.” Due to this, some of the musicians weren’t heard well. Nevertheless, Ms. GT revealed that the Springbrook HS Jazz Band played “Easy to Love” by Cole Porter and Paul Baker really well!

Congratulations to Wilson Cortez Escobar for winning the “Best Soloist” trophy!

Photo Credit: DangKhoa Noah Nguyen!