The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

My Final Bow with The Addams Family

High school is a chaotic place, with constant activity, new lessons, and endless opportunities to find one’s niche. Ever since I watched my older sister perform on Springbrook’s stage, I knew I wanted to be part of it too. Coming from a family of performers—my mom a dancer and my dad a singer—it seemed natural to continue their legacy. Fortunately, I shared their passion for performance, starting dance classes at the age of four. I ventured into acting in sixth grade during White Oak Middle School’s production of Grease, which ignited my love for theater. Despite the challenges of online learning, I joined the drama club freshman year.

Throughout my time at Springbrook, I participated in every play or musical in various capacities. In freshman year, I assisted with backdrops, then progressed to acting roles from sophomore to senior year, occasionally dabbling in crew work. Despite a quarter of my high school experience being online, I learned a great deal. I’m proud to have sustained my involvement through eight productions, witnessing many come and go.

Starting with “Almost, Maine” and “The Spring Scene Collaboration” freshman year, I grasped the basics of drama and the teamwork required for productions. I collaborated on virtual backdrops and gained insight from the drama club members, as well as our acting and technical directors, Nancy Blum and Kat Pong.

Sophomore year presented unique challenges with “The Three Musketeers” and “The Never-Ending Curtain Call.” The latter, a compilation of scenes written by students, including myself, provided an enriching experience. Despite the chilly outdoor performances for “The Three Musketeers,” I cherished the opportunity to learn sword fighting and embrace multiple roles.

Junior year marked a pivotal moment in my growth as an actor. In “The Fall of the House of Usher” and “Legally Blonde,” I expanded my skills. Portraying Carlos in “Legally Blonde” pushed me out of my comfort zone, especially with singing—a new frontier for me. Despite initial nerves, I embraced the challenge and delivered a memorable performance.

Finally, senior year brought the culmination of my drama club journey with “Clue” and “The Addams Family.” Playing Colonel Mustard in “Clue” marked my first lead role, a demanding but rewarding experience. Although initially hesitant about my role as Lurch in “The Addams Family,” I embraced the challenge, discovering new depths in non-verbal storytelling.

Despite the varied challenges and experiences, the drama club remained a constant source of growth and camaraderie. It provided a platform for personal development and the opportunity to mentor others. Through the highs and lows, the drama club fostered a supportive environment where everyone worked together to create memorable performances.

As I reflect on my journey, I’m grateful for the friendships forged and the skills honed. Drama club has been a cornerstone of my high school experience, shaping me into the performer I am today. Thank you, Springbrook Drama Club, for the memories and the invaluable lessons learned.