The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

From World Languages Teacher to Staff Development Teacher: Meet Ms. Hawkins

Recently, I had a moment to chat with Springbrook’s new Staff Development Teacher, Ms. Hawkins.  Her passion and dedication to education was exemplified throughout our interview.

What motivated you to transition to a Staff Development Teacher?

My MCPS career started at Blake HS as a World Languages teacher. There, I was a classroom teacher and then transitioned to the Resource Teacher position. In that role, I was able to observe and support my colleagues as an instructional leader. Following that, I was fortunate to have been selected to join the Consulting Teacher (CT) team from 2020-2023. There I was able enhance those skills as a teacher’s coach. The CT experience is an unforgettable one in which I was able to meet wonderful novice and veteran teachers and support them in their journey as educators. Understanding that the CT role is temporary, I wanted to continue my work in that capacity. Now, being able to be a part of the SBHS community, I hope to continue supporting educators as an instructional coach while also developing professional relationships.

What plans you have for teachers this school year?

-As I continue to acclimate myself with the SBHS community, I’d like to take time to observe teachers in their classes, PLCs, with their students….to get a clear picture of how I can support. With direction from our administrative team, my goal is to be additive in meaningful ways to the school community.

How it will impact the overall culture of teaching at Springbrook?

I hope that the support I bring will continue to foster an already thriving community! Springbrook staff and students have been an absolutely pleasant place to land after my transition off of the CT team.

Ms. Hawkins leads the staff through their “Culturally Responsive Teaching” Professional Development