The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Coach Russell’s Debut Season

Over the summer, Coach Russell was named as the Head Coach of the Varsity Football team.   It is always a wonderful feeling with an alumni returns to give back to the Springbrook community.   I was able to sit with Coach Russell and discuss his plans for the team.   

What is one thing you instill in your players?

“My motto is to be a student before an athlete, because grades and performance you have outside of the field is important.”

What advice would you give to new players interested in playing football?

“I would tell new players to stay dedicated and stay with it because if it was easy everybody would do it.”

Coach Russell believes that any student can accomplish whatever they put their minds to.  He never imagined that one day he would be running out on the field as the head of the team.  Even though winning is not everything, Coach Russell would like to bring home a championship for Springbrook.  When asked about how he plans to defeat other teams, he says, “We have to use our strengths to exploit the weaknesses of our opponents.  It’s a good tactic to focus on and defeat our weakest points. The importance of focusing on other teams is huge.”  

He encourages student athletes to “Stay locked in and keep fighting everyday.”   His words are impactful both on and off the field.  Students need to be locked in their school work on fighting for a win on the field.   Coach Russell believes the mind can play a really big part in sports.  You must train your mind for whatever challenge you may face in order to tackle it down. The hard work you put in will give you the results you want to get out. 

Coach Russell was recently named MCPS Coach of the Week for week 4 of the season.  Good luck to him and our varsity team?  Go Blue Devils!