Get to know Springbrook’s newest coach: Jason Lomax

Earlier this month, Mr. Rivera made history by hiring former Rockville High School coach Jason Lomax as  the first football coach since 1974 with no direct connection to the high school.

Lomax has high hopes for his upcoming season at Springbrook with plans to aim for the playoffs as he does every year.

“ I hope to build a family atmosphere among the team, school, and community.  When you play for your family, the sky’s the limit for success,” said Lomax in response to being asked what he hopes to accomplish this year.

However, Springbrook’s gain is Rockville’s loss.

“It is unfortunate that he is leaving Rockville HS because he was such an asset to our coaching staff, however, we are happy for him personally as he’s a great guy and this is something he really wanted,” said Rockville’s Athletic Director Mike Hayes.

Lomax, despite having no connection to Springbrook, has nothing but respect and admiration for Springbrook football, especially back in the 80’s and for its history of winning

“Springbrook was the gold standard for high school football,” said Lomax. “It was truly an honor to get this opportunity.”

Although Lomax has not yet begun coaching the team, many players are excited for his arrival.

“I’m excited to get to work with him next season. He already has had us in the weight room working out,” said junior Amadou Tall.

Tall’s excitement is matched by Lomax’s record. Last season, Rockville’s football team ended their season with a record of 7 – 2 with an average 38 points scored per game whereas Springbrook high school ended with a record of 3 – 7 with an average of 14 points scored per game. Both teams played Watkins Mill last season, while Springbrook lost to Watkins Mills 12 – 14, Rockville beat them by a score of 22 – 0.