The gender neutral cap and gown ignites controversy

The class of 2015 graduation in light blue and dark blue gowns assigned by gender.

After generations of Springbrook females wearing light blue and males wearing navy blue for graduation, the class of 2017 has been given the option to change to a unisex, navy blue gown. Other high schools in the consortium have already changed to one color for their gowns that both genders will wear.

“ I don’t like the clash of two different shades of blue,” said senior Jasmine Carter

The school of Springbrook is navy blue and not powder blue. Some students feel that the navy blue and powder blue don’t compliment one another,

“I like the idea of the cap and gown colors being gender neutral, I can’t speak for everyone, but I just don’t like the look of the new navy blue gown,” said senior Anna Tsao

The newly redesigned idea of one navy blue gown has a powder blue collar that makes them look outdated, choir-like, and tacky. The concept of having one colored gown is to make everyone identical and equal. With the changes and growing acceptance of different gender identities; the School Board of Education attempts to offer students with the choice of a gender neutral gown. Although the idea of a gender neutral gown is a great concept, the students should have the choice to design a cap and gown for graduation and a vote because it is what they are going to wear on the day of their graduation.

“I like the new idea because some people don’t identify as either gender. Also, it’s preparing us for college because they all wear black gowns when they graduate. Our school color isn’t two shades of blue, it’s just blue. I like that the class of 2017 is the first class to have the option of changing the gown color,” said senior Linel Perez

At the senior class assembly that occurred last Oct. 26, the staff of Springbrook told us that there would be a link to seniors posted on Twitter and on the student seniors section on the Springbrook school website. It was said that the votes would be tallied up and announced on Oct. 28. As of today, we have still yet to hear the results.