Teaching to Triumph

Student teacher enjoys her time at Springbrook High School

“Being here [Springbrook High School] has made me prepared for different aspects of teaching.” said Leala Smith, student teacher. Ms. Smith has been at Springbrook since the start of the school year, so she has touched many students’ heart’s during her time here. Smith has made her students laugh and be proud to call her their teacher.

Just a few years ago, Ms. Smith was a high school student just like everyone else while attending, Severna Park High School. After graduation, she attended the University of Maryland to pursue her dream to become an English Teacher. In May 2015, towards the beginning of her senior year, she made the choice to be a student teacher at Springbrook High School.

“I wanted to teach in Montgomery County Public Schools, so I was lucky enough to get the opportunity,” Smith said.

She worked with Sarah Kinard who ended up becoming a huge helping hand in her journey to become a better teacher.  In the start of the school year, Smith sat and observed the regular operations of a high school classroom. Then, in January, she started to teach her English class, but students could see that she was a little nervous while teaching.

“Some kids told me that I was nervous, and needed to speak louder during classes,” Smith said.

As the months passed by, Ms. Smith overcame those judgements, and became an even better teacher.

Smith was very favored by all of her students because she made English fun and more creative. For example, she encouraged her students to form make a book club, and to discuss with each other about certain aspects of a book that caught their attention.

“Reading together made it fun because we were able to take the time to in our groups and discuss the questions together,” 10th grader, Eileen Portillo said.

On her last day, she left with great memories and teaching methods while her time at Springbrook.

“It has prepared me in many ways to learn about different types of learners, kids, backgrounds, and needs,” said Smith.

Soon after completing her graduate program, Smith will become a full-time teacher at Severna Park High School where she graduated from in 2012.

“I’m excited about the opportunity because I’ll be able to teach with my old teachers,” Smith said.  

Although Smith left Springbrook, she and her students will remember all the laughs and giggles during her time at teaching. She will remember Springbrook, and how it helped her become a better educator.