Students earn spots on county choir

Montgomery County Youth Choir Program members sophomores Dumar Valencia and Paige Cambell and freshman Lila Cooper

In Montgomery County’s own version of “American Idol”, three Springbrook students made the cut.

In early spring, freshman Lila Cooper and sophomores Dumar Valencia and Paige Campbell auditioned for the Montgomery County Youth Chorus (MCYC).

The MCYC is the highest chorus ensemble available for high school students. In order to gain entrance to this prestigious group, students must be enrolled in their school choral program.

All students that meet this requirement in grades 9-12 are welcomed to try out in front of a panel of judges during the spring.

“Students all over Montgomery County audition, so it’s a big deal to be accepted,” choir teacher Emily Detroye said.

In May, Cooper, Campbell and Valencia were told that they had been selected to join the ensemble.

“I didn’t even know what to say. I’m just got so excited,” Cooper said.

Next year, these three will practice every week with the other high school students chosen to be a part of this group in order to perform major choral literature works.

There will be seven rehearsals a week and they will need to learn at least 10 pieces of music from a guest conductor from the University of Maryland.

In addition to being the most reputable ensemble in Montgomery County, the MCYC also offers students the opportunity to perform with acts such as the National Symphony, the Millbrook Symphony, the Montgomery County Youth Orchestra and the Masterworks Chorus and Orchestra.

“I’m so happy that I get to do this,” Valencia said.

According to the MCYC website, many of the students go on to be selected as members of Maryland All-State Chorus and the All-Eastern Chorus, two other acclaimed ensembles offered to high school students in the state of Maryland.