The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Snack Shack is Back!

Springbrook Snack Shack

Whether you would like to buy 4 icees for a dollar or purchase an ice cold apple juice, the Snack Shack is open every day during lunch from 11:15-11:45.  The Snack Shack offers a variety of healthy snack options at an excellent price.  Ms. Curtis and Ms. Schmidt work to help keep the Snack Shack stocked, but the real magic comes from their student workers.  You can expect to be greeted by Beverly, Gloire, Ja’meyah, Phoenix, Djoulissa, or Starr.  Help support our Springbrook community and purchase a snack today!

Why Healthy Snacks Matter

So many students wonder why school lunch and snacks available have changed.  Studies conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and CDC Healthy Schools found that snacks bought at school can play a big role in kids’ diets and well-being, but until recently, many students did not have healthy food and beverage options available a la carte or in vending machines.   As a result, the U.S. Department of Agriculture strengthened standards for snacks and drinks sold at school, which had not been revised since 1979.  These guidelines, known as the Smart Snacks in School rule, reflect the updated national standards for breakfasts and lunches that Congress has also made a requirement.  These policies ensure that no matter where on campus children get food or drinks, their choices will provide the nutrition they need to be healthy.  Schools are audited to ensure that all food made available during the school day follow those strict requirements.

For more information on healthy snacks in schools, visit the USDA website.