The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Behind-The-Scenes Look into “Clue!”

The Drama Club is ecstatic about preparing for our fall play, the murder mystery “Clue.” From actors rehearsing scenes to carpenters making doors, both the cast and crew are hard at work to ensure that this year’s play is a memorable one. “Clue,” written by Sandy Rustin, is based on Jonathan Lynn’s 1985 screenplay, which was inspired by the classic Hasbro game of the same name, released in 1949. The play unfolds in a mansion where six mysterious guests are invited for a dinner party, unaware of the exact reason for their invitation. Blackmail lingers in the air as they make their way to the dinner table, only to find their host dead shortly afterward. The guests, including Professor Plum, Mr. Green, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Mrs. Peacock, and Ms. Scarlet, all become suspects. They venture through the old mansion, led by Wadsworth through various rooms and numerous doors. Will they uncover the identity of the killer? You’ll have to come and find out for yourself.

This year, we have a full cast, and our crew is finally growing. With a team of carpenters and painters, I believe we will complete the set in no time. Many people may think that the drama club is only for actors and consists solely of stage performances, but there are many other roles available. The “cast” refers to the actors seen by the audience, while the “crew” encompasses everyone who works behind the scenes. This includes the previously mentioned carpentry and painting teams, as well as those managing costumes, props, lights, sounds, microphones, and the running crew. After our former technical director, Kat, left, David (Mr. Williams) stepped up and is currently collaborating with the crew to create the set. The Drama Club is open to everyone at Springbrook, regardless of their experience level. Some students have been involved in the drama club since middle school, while others joined only recently. There’s a place for everyone in the Drama Club, regardless of their skill set.

Adria Purification, a sophomore at Springbrook, joined the drama club last year and has thoroughly enjoyed her experience. “Drama Club has helped me develop leadership and determination skills. I’ve learned a lot from all the alumni I met and people before me. Drama Club is a place where you can be open and socialize with people and create very new and fun experiences. I did mostly carpentry during last year’s play “Legally Blonde.” I helped build sets and helped coordinate with mics. I mainly did running crew. I am looking forward to the future of drama club, and how it’ll continue to grow as more and more people join and find their passion” She has assisted with microphones, painting, and carpentry and is now part of the ensemble in “Clue.”

Khady Gaye, a senior at Springbrook, is playing her first lead and shares that her favorite thing about drama club is “the community because they are very interesting and enjoyable to be around.” She also states that drama club is “very funny and makes you feel welcomed once you join in.” She is looking forward to showcasing Clue and hanging out at the cast party.

The crew has been growing steadily each year, and I hope it will return to its pre-quarantine size. If anyone is interested in joining the crew, even if only as an usher for the play dates, please reach out to Ms. Lee in G-313.

One of the significant tasks for the crew this year is the construction of numerous doors. Since the play is set in a mansion, creating a set that resembles one involves the incorporation of multiple doors. This is a significant step up from last year’s musical, “Legally Blonde,” where projections were used in place of backdrops. While that approach was easier, for me, it diminished the feeling of being in a play or musical. Having a real backdrop enhances the play’s atmosphere and makes it more realistic.

“We’re one big crazy family,” says Con, a junior in drama club. “Everybody has nice personalities that match together” – Rue <3, another junior.

Drama Club has a great mix of people from all different grades, ethnic backgrounds, and histories. We all work together to make the amazing shows the Springbrook community is able to enjoy. Aedan Shiffman, a senior who enjoys drama club, shares that there is a “chaotic atmosphere” in drama club and that “there are lots of moments where we break characters because someone missed a cue or something went wrong. That is the beauty of it. We can have those moments through the chaos it.” A beautiful chaos found in drama club.