The official student news site of Springbrook High School.

The Blueprint

Spreading love at Springbrook

Junior Josh Sabater has become known for spreading positivity and using his poems and raps to share his message.

by Suzanne Mpacko, Staff Writer

Josh Sabater is a junior at Springbrook High School, who is known for writing and performing his poetry.

He started writing poetry in 2012 when he was in the 7th grade at 12 years old. He was first seen as gifted by his mother and she encourages and supports him till this day.

His first poem was called “Mixtape of Love”, which was about the double standards and racism in America.

"I'm trying to find myself, deep in this sea of dreams, but if eyes decide than what are we seeing.Because I see to believe. My soul is on the Devils leash of sins and money dreams. I'm trying to find myself deep beneath this flesh, deep beneath this sleep, layed to rest, to wake up and realize today is.."

“I’m trying to find myself, deep in this sea of dreams, but if eyes decide than what are we seeing…”

“I remember writing it and showing it to my mom, then she was like Josh you should write” he said.

He thought, “Me, write poetry?” He first misjudged poetry. He saw it as something too formal. With the encouragement of his family, he wrote every single day, since then. At first, his poetry was dark and reflected the person he was at the time. He thought “I’m not the same as everyone else” or “ I’m not as good as everyone else.”

His emotions fueled him to write a lot of deeply sad and depressed poems. There was a period of time when he tried to do different things and find himself but unfortunately still ended up feeling less than everyone else exactly where he started.

Everything changed when he took part in the heritage show. He met a whole bunch of great artists and individuals.

“I just was engulfed by a community who supported me” he said.

After the performance was when he met some of his current best friends. Being in this environment helped him find himself. He now lives by the motto of spreading love, not hate.

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Entertainment

Wonder Woman Saves DCU

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Showcase

Nya signs with Wake Forest to continue football career

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Devils OT Sports Blog

NBA Top 10 moments in the season

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Opinion

The evolution of Prom

• Spreading love at Springbrook

News

MCPS Struggles To Close Achievement Gap

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Entertainment

’13 Reasons Why’ changes the game for Netflix shows

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Entertainment

Khalid’s ‘American Teen’ hits the charts

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Feature

Partners in Rhyme: Joony & Max.Freetown

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Showcase

Track team sprints into nationals

• Spreading love at Springbrook

Showcase

Bocce on a roll to their first state championship

Spreading love at Springbrook