The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Springbrook’s Winter Concert: Through Ms. Guggenheim-Triana Lens

On December 12th, 2023, Springbrook’s Music Department hosted its Winter Concert. This program offers students the chance to delve into their artistic passions. The concert highlighted performances from Springbrook’s Beginning Band, Symphonic Band, Symphonic Orchestra, and Jazz Band, making it a memorable event. As a member of the Symphonic Orchestra in this year’s Winter Concert, I can attest to the incredible feeling of belonging to this group. To me, playing an instrument at Springbrook isn’t solely about perfecting musical pieces; it’s also about the wonderful people you play alongside and the lessons learned from music teachers.

This school year, the Music Department welcomed Ms. Irene Guggenheim-Triana as the new Music Director. I had the opportunity to sit down with her and discuss the Winter Concert. Regarding her first concert at Springbrook, she expressed, “It was exciting, but I was really nervous about ensuring everything ran smoothly. I was fortunate to have had support from Mr. Woods, Ms. Hairston, and our phenomenal staff chaperons, Ms. Richards and Mr. Foster.” Ms. GT was especially grateful for the support, highlighting Ms. Manson’s role in designing programs and organizing concessions.

While Ms. GT had ample support during the concert, she also held the responsibility of planning and coordinating the various performances. She shared her approach: “I planned and sent the itinerary to the chaperons, and I recorded the music pieces during class to estimate performance times.” Ms. GT’s organizational skills, determination, and the support of the staff ensured the smooth execution of the concert.

Additionally, Ms. GT shared her favorite music pieces from each group: Finlandia for the Beginning Band, The Great Gate of Kiev for the Concert Band, Londonderry Air for the Symphonic Orchestra, and Sticks for the Jazz Band. She particularly enjoyed Sticks from the Jazz Band, describing it as “upbeat and energetic.”

Reflecting on the concert night, Ms. GT expressed her desire for more time to warm up each group and her initial concern about readiness on stage. Thankfully, the support of the chaperons prevented any last-minute rush. “It didn’t happen because of the help from our chaperons! It takes a village! Haha!” Ms. GT remarked.

Finally, Ms. GT cherished the audience’s unwavering energy throughout the entire performance as her favorite aspect of the concert. This enthusiasm confirmed the Winter Concert as a resounding success!