The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Making Your Future in Law and Justice

The Justice, Law, and Society program offered at Springbrook High School is a pathway program that focuses on the steps of legal justice. Students in the program learn how to analyze legal issues and distinguish between facts and personal opinions. The JLS program offers students the opportunity to participate in field trips that cover important law and justice-related topics and connect with peers who share the same interest in the law and justice system. To complete the JLS pathway, students must earn 3 credits, with four courses available within the pathway, three of which are required for completion.

The first course, Introduction to Justice, Law, Society, serves as the entry-level course run by Mr. Peang-Meth. This introductory course teaches students case analysis and legal analysis of current events, mainly focusing on civil law with some elements of criminal law. Students apply their learning through legal writing assignments and research citations. Each semester culminates in a mock trial, where students participate in defense and plaintiff groups, offering students a practical understanding of the work environment and fostering connections within the class.

The second mandatory course, Law and The Administration of Justice, is conducted by real-time lawyer Ms. Laskin. Students who complete the introductory course engage in more hands-on learning by visiting the circuit court. They also undertake more challenging assignments that apply their knowledge of the court system. This course reinforces the structure of the JLS pathway and helps students build confidence in the law while exploring potential careers in the field.

The final required course, Contemporary Issues in JLS, also led by Ms. Laskin, focuses on enhancing students’ confidence and knowledge of the law. Students visit the supreme court and meet with local congressmen, providing opportunities to observe and inquire about the functioning of the justice system. This course exposes students to potential career options after high school, such as homeland security, forensics, or law enforcement.

Upon completing their three required credits, students have the option to take a fourth course called Guided Research – Law, Government, Public Safety, and Administration. This optional course offers a summer program in partnership with Montgomery College, where students attend lectures from college professors teaching in the law and justice field. The program includes a week-long courtroom class and a mock trial with a real judge. Students also explore paralegal studies and potential internships. Although the fourth course is optional, Ms. Laskin strongly recommends it to interested JLS students for its additional support in their future law careers.

The Justice, Law, and Society pathway is an excellent opportunity for students interested in law. Not only does it provide knowledge and experience of the justice system, but it also fosters a supportive community of peers who share the same passion. Springbrook is proud to offer the JLS program to students. If you’re considering law as a field of interest, consider exploring the JLS program for your academic future.