One Montgomery seeks school improvement for NEC

One Montgomery is an organization formed this past summer with the purpose of improving the academic performance of the Northeast Consortium (NEC) and Downcounty Consortium schools. It is comprised of parents and concerned citizens living in the Silver Spring area. One Montgomery members believe that the unequal allocation of resources between the eastern and western parts of the county is to blame for the poor academic performance.

The organization’s focus is the improvement of the academic performance of and opportunities for students in schools with a high proportion of students in poverty. It has been meeting since November in hopes of gaining recognition and support.

Within the Montgomery County Public School (MCPS) system there is a large discrepancy in the performance of high schools as measured by SAT and Advanced Placement exams. Schools in the Downcounty Consortium, Montgomery Blair, Albert Einstein, John F. Kennedy, Northwood and Wheaton high schools, and the NEC, James Hubert Blake, Springbrook and Paint Branch high schools, maintain significantly lower median SAT scores and percentage of students earning 3’s or higher on AP exams. In the NEC, the mean SAT score for 2013 was 1464 compared to 1710 in the remainder of the county. Students scored 3’s or higher on 36.5% of AP exams compared to 65% elsewhere in the county. The dropout rate is also higher in the NEC, 8.6%, than in the rest of MCPS, 4.7%.

“I think there is no question that we need some more help over here, and need more resources. Some of our students have greater material needs than students do in the other parts of the county, and that should be addressed… I think the current situation could be better,” said English teacher Barbara Mantello.

The main concern, according to One Montgomery, is the relatively poor academic performance of the NEC and Downcounty schools, in comparison to other MCPS schools, and the concern from parents on this topic. This performance data creates perceptions or misconceptions that affect entire communities in ways such as real estate value.

Organization members believe that a greater allocation of resources can address these concerns.

“I think it takes, often times, more resources to move a school forward that has a population that has low socioeconomic students. Having said that, I’m a firm believer that poverty cannot be the predictor of success or failure,” said Assistant Principal Daniel Garcia.

In addition to more resources, members of the organization have made several suggestions for improvement including: smaller classes, especially in on-level high school classes, more after school and community school programs, and more experienced teachers with a record of results.

“As a student, you want to know you’re getting the best possible education that will prepare you for future success. Getting additional resources at your school for additional teachers, support staff, and community and after-school programs will improve students’ learning experience and, hopefully, their future success,” said One Montgomery member Dan Reed.

After holding its first meeting in Colesville, One Montgomery plans to hold its next meeting in January in the Downcounty area. To learn more about One Montgomery visit http://onemontgomery.wordpress.com, like their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/onemontgomeryschools or follow them on Twitter @onemontschools.