The Blueprint

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The evolution of Prom

How this school dance has become a huge extravaganza

Prom Now (2017)

Prom Now (2017)

photo by Mpacko, Suzanne (Student)

photo by Mpacko, Suzanne (Student)

Prom Now (2017)

Prom has drastically changed over the past decade. Is it becoming a little too much? Prom is part of the American culture. It is considered to be the most important night of a high school senior. But over the past years, prom has changed from a nice dance to say goodbye to high school into an occasion for seniors to slay one last time.

People now spend over $1,000 on prom dresses, just so it could be made by the best designers and to go viral. Mostly girls are extra with their prom outfits because people aren’t slaying as much anymore and the same looks are being produced over and over again.

Prom is now highly overrated mainly because of social media. It isn’t about the dance or having a great night with your friends and your date anymore. Social media has changed the meaning of prom. It’s now just an opportunity to go viral. There are pages on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and other social media sites just about prom outfits. Most people dress up as much as they can just to make it to those pages and be famous on social media. People now worry more about what dress they’ll wear and what designer is making their dress, where’s their send off going to be, what car are they going to rent, rather than who is the DJ.
Promposal is a new thing that was born in the past decade. A promposal is when a someone asks their girlfriend, boyfriend or friend to go to prom with them. This also has been turned into an over the top event, just for attention. Most couples already know they are going to prom together, yet still ask their girlfriend, boyfriend or friend to prom in front of the whole school, just for the attention. Were promposals ever even needed? Why can’t people just ask in private like it was back in the 90s, why does it have to be this big deal that stops everyone from walking in the halls and for all eyes to be on someone.

Prom Then (1995)

In my opinion, prom is all about making memories with your class before we all go our separate ways, but social media has completely changed and people are now forgetting the purpose of it and just think of it as a red carpet event.

• The evolution of Prom

Opinion

Is it okay to be white?

• The evolution of Prom

News

FCC set to repeal net neutrality rules

• The evolution of Prom

Devils OT Sports Blog

Here’s why Michael Jordan really is the G.O.A.T.

• The evolution of Prom

Arts at The Brook

A Thought: Solitude

• The evolution of Prom

Opinion

Opinion: Kneeling During The National Anthem

• Opinion

Summer in Maryland: A Guide to Having Fun

• The evolution of Prom

Opinion

A transforming spring break trip to Nepal

• The evolution of Prom

Opinion

The stresses of senior year

• The evolution of Prom

Opinion

The truth (we all knew) about Emmett Till

• The evolution of Prom

Opinion

Trump orders controversial immigration policy

The official student news site of Springbrook High School. #thebrooknews
The evolution of Prom