Are singing grams interrupting or entertaining?

Along with other MCPS high schools, our school participates in singing grams that are given to students, teachers, and staff. In the previous years, students were given a opportunity to purchase one in front of the cafeteria during lunch for $3 for one singing gram or $5 for two singing grams.

Students and staff are allowed to purchase one or multiple singing grams for anyone in the school building. In addition, there is a option to specialize a singing gram by adding a special note. They are delivered during class periods the day before winter break.

So how does this affect students and staff? Teachers are forced to sacrifice their class time for a singing gram that takes 3-5 minutes away from class time. Over the years, teachers plan a movie, a holiday party, or a small assignment on the day before winter break. Although a couple minutes are lost it is only a small price for the gift of joy and happiness to one’s day before winter break.

Some teachers give out big assignments on the day before holiday breaks, such as quizzes or tests, so I can understand that singing grams can be interrupting. As a student that had classes that ranged from no assignments to big assignments, I can see how interrupting singing grams can be.

Personally, I get really excited whenever someone walks in asking for the person they are singing a jolly song to. I love seeing and hearing the smiles on people’s faces as they sing or listen to a performance. I love them as much as someone who is delivering or receiving a singing gram, even though it can be interrupting at times. It’s a great way for students to showcase their talents and to even surprise people that didn’t know of their talents.

Overall, it is a great way today heighten holiday spirits and put a smile on someone else’s face, it’s honestly a entertaining event that is worth the couple of minutes it takes out of classes.