5 Alternatives to College

For my whole life, I always thought that I would graduate high school then go off to college for four years, then enter the workforce. I have always been told by my parents and teachers that if I want to be successful in life, I have to get a college degree. But lately, I’ve been thinking about other possibilities, maybe college right after high school isn’t for me. Here are some of the most viable options to college after graduating high school:

• Get Into a Trade –  Trade schools offer a variety of training options for many different careers, most of which are associated with “blue collar” jobs. Even though there are some negative stereotypes that come along with these jobs, millions of people work these jobs and get paid fine. College graduates get paid on average $45,000 as a starting salary, while the starting salary for those who go to trade school is $42,000. There isn’t much of a difference, and the college graduate is entering the workforce two years later than the person who attended the two years trade school.
  • Join the Military – There are 100,000 high school  graduates who join the military every year. Although the pay isn’t great, many essential costs are covered by the military, like food, housing, healthcare, and dental care. You can also get your whole education paid for by using the GI Bill.
  • Get a Job – By securing a full time job, this can really help you take an important step into adulthood and you can learn important life skills and make some money. Try to stay away from jobs that typically hire teens and make sure that there are opportunities to rise up in the ranks if you are looking to work there for an extended period of time.
  • Start a Business – For those with an entrepreneurial spirit, and a good idea, this is a viable option in today’s Internet age. The trick is finding a niche and pursuing it, and even if you fail, you will learn many valuable skills and lessons.
  • Volunteering – This can be a great way to learn more about yourself and make a positive impact. You might even use this experience to find direction in your life if that’s what you’re looking for. I have gone on few service trips, and I have been able to get a lot out of every one of them.