Photography classes take part in festival

Each spring, The Nora School hosts a photography festival to celebrate the work of the talented photographers in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. All students in 6-12 grade are encouraged to submit their art.

When photography teacher Larossa Jones-Arroyo heard of this festival three years ago, she immediately thought of submitting the best artwork from her photography classes.

“I started submitting my student’s work a while ago, but this year there was a huge increase in the number of students that had their work displayed and won awards,” Jones-Arroyo said.

A total of 13 Springbrook students had their work on display at the festival. Six of these students were granted a first, second or third prize award or an honorable mention.

“It was an honor to be the first place winner for the Color category. It was really unexpected, but I tried my best and put in a lot of effort into the pictures I submitted,” senior Nora Portillo said.

Students that entered this competition submitted work in one of four categories: people, places, things and other, and were allowed to enter a maximum of two photos into the competition.

On April 24, students from Springbrook’s photography classes that participated in this competition were invited to an awards ceremony.

“I enjoyed having the opportunity to see artwork from other schools. Seeing their work gave me ideas for my future projects,” freshman Jack Barnes said.

Springbrook’s photography classes will continue to be involved in this festival.