Students suffer from the fear of the unknown

How many times has an adult asked you about your future plans? How many times have you felt like throwing up the second you heard that question when you realized you don’t have any plans?

These days it seems like high school students are supposed to know all the answers about their futures. Teenagers have to know what college they’re going to, what they plan on majoring in and exactly what job they want.

I hear it from my parents, counselors and even some of my friends: “You need to be prepared.”

There are reasons why adults in our lives seem like they only want to know about our future plans.

“I would like to know that my child has a path to follow. I want my child to succeed and I feel success comes Teachers, parents and counselors are trying to help students decide what to do with their lives; they just want to make sure that we do well. But every time someone pesters me about my future I feel sick because I just haven’t mapped it all out yet.

For other students, being asked about their future plans isn’t such a big deal.

“I’ve always known that I wanted a career in music, so when people ask me about my goals, I have no issues answering,” junior Sana Shah said.

But many students don’t have a clue about their future.

“I get really nervous when people ask me about my future because I’m not sure about anything,” junior Nicole Kalitsi said.

But is that such a bad thing? If a student hasn’t decided on everything yet, does it mean that there is no hope for them?

Of course it doesn’t. It is perfectly fine to not know what you want to be when you grow up. After all, you’re only in high school.

The future is a scary thing, and it might seem like you’re running out of time to make these huge decisions. But if you keep thinking about your lack of plans, you’ll feel even more stress.

Instead of stressing out about the future, try to enjoy the present. Take classes you are genuinely interested in, rather than classes you feel like you need to take in order to secure a job.

You have plenty of time to make up your mind about a career. You have all of high school and college to really think about it. If you take classes with the intent to enjoy yourself, you might even find your perfect job.