How people spend snow days

Not everyone gets to sleep in

photo by Mellie Mesfin

To most in the MCPS school system, a day off from school due to snow is a blessing. But not everyone gets a chance to turn over and go back to sleep. Some of Springbrook’s staff members are in the building when the outside world is dusted in snow.

“For the most part, snow days only affect students and teachers and support staff, instructional assistants, paraeducators and the like.,” said Assistant Principal Daniel Garcia. “Administrators also need to be here, unless otherwise directed by central office. We’re here and doing our regular job.”

When administrators are here on snow days, there are no students around to attend to, so they get other work done. Checking emails and doing paperwork are just two of the things going on in the building when school is cancelled.

“But there are emergency personnel who have to be here no matter what, including building service. The building still needs to be serviced,” Garcia said.

While students and teachers are staying at home, building service workers are at school, ensuring that school grounds are safe for students when they get back to school.

“I’m a building service worker,” building service worker Janet Hooe said. “What we normally do when we come in on a snow day is we make sure all the walkways [and driveways] are cleared, the hallways are safe and clear, make sure salt and stuff are brought into the school. Other than that, we just work on the outside to make sure it’s safe for the kids.”

Although school is not in session for students on snow days, some kids still take advantage of the day off to prepare for school.

“When I have a lot of work, I definitely use the snow day to catch up on it,” IB junior Zoe Braddock said.

Other students take the day off to unwind.

“If we have a snow day, I usually just relax that day, and don’t do much work,” sophomore Jade Weisletten said. “School is stressful, so it’s great when you wake up to no school. I wouldn’t want to do work on that kind of day.”

Overall, a snow day can be a good thing for everyone.