Khalid’s ‘American Teen’ hits the charts

Khalid is gaining mainstream attention with his hit song “Location” and audiences are loving his debut album “American Teen.”

Khalid’s unique style and raspy voice has served him well throughout the past year, as this rising star has made his way into everyone’s hearts. From his home “City of the 915”, to countless “Locations” across the globe, Khalid is being recognized as a true musical talent.

The release of his debut album has even caused some to believe that he could win “Best New Artist” at next year’s Grammy Awards, and Khalid was also recognized by Billboard as No. 2 on the “Billboard Twitter Emerging Artists” chart last summer.

During his senior year of high school, Khalid focused on music and wrote a handful of songs, which he began to post on his SoundCloud account. After gaining more and more recognition, Khalid began uploading his music to other streaming apps like Spotify and Apple Music. The artist got a huge popularity boost last year, when TV personality, Kylie Jenner, posted a video on Snapchat of her singing along to Khalid’s hit song, “Location.”

As his name slowly began to make its way into the R&B and Hip Hop community, Khalid released more songs from his anticipated album, “American Teen”. Songs like “Saved”, “Hopeless”, and “Let’s Go”, were uploaded to all of his streaming accounts, and Khalid was starting to become something like a semi-celebrity.

On March 3rd, 2017, Khalid finally dropped his highly anticipated debut album, and “American Teen” was dominating the R&B charts right away, taking first place away from The Weeknd’s “Starboy”.

“American Teen” is quite the melting pot, combining a fusion of modern R&B, 80’s pop grooves, and slow acoustic tunes to produce the perfect vibe. Khalid’s lyrics on the album also describe the essence of youth and what it feels like to be a teenager. From young love and hanging out with friends, to anticipating graduation night, “American Teen” hits all the right spots.

As he sings, “Maybe the end is near, but I’ve been waiting all year, to get the hell up out of here, and throw away my fears,” Khalid refers to graduating from high school and freeing himself from his responsibilities.

His lyrics also touch on the current overlap between love and technology. In his most popular song, “Location”, Khalid sings, “Send me your location, let’s focus on communication,” and goes on to say, “I don’t wanna fall in love off of subtweets, so let’s get personal,” referring to iPhone features and Twitter trends.

Now, we know that Khalid is an incredibly talented artist, but who is he?

Well, `Khalid Robinson was born in Fort Stewart, Georgia. However, because his mother worked as a supply technician in the army, he was forced to live in various places throughout his early childhood. A major part of his life was the six years that he spent in Germany, which the singer says helped define his unique style of music.

After living in Heidelberg, Germany for so long, he and his mother moved back to the states in the city of El Paso, Texas, during his senior year of high school, where he began to truly develop as an artist, recording and uploading songs consistently. His senior year of high school has had a huge impact on the album, as well as his musical style.

Since the release of his “American Teen”, Khalid has received countless shoutouts on social media from other well known artists, such as Logic, Kehlani, and Lauren Jauregui. He also performed this week on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”

Khalid is only 19 years old, and he has already made a big name for himself in the music industry. Based on way things are looking, this musical prodigy has a bright future ahead of him.