Knock it out with ‘Fist Fight’

Ice+Cube+and++Charlie+Day+play+high+school+teachers+in+Fist+Fight.+

Ice Cube and Charlie Day play high school teachers in “Fist Fight.”

The newly released movie “Fist Fight” captures senior year’s fun and laid back vibes perfectly. “Fist Fight” contains big names in the music and entertainment industries starring Ice Cube, Tracy Morgan, Jillian Bell, and Max Greenfield.
This entire movie goes through the last day of high school by focusing on the conflict between two teachers, English teacher Andy Campbell (Max Greenfield) and History teacher Ron Strickland (Ice Cube). The underlying conflict is Strickland’s issue with the high schoolers lack of responsibility towards their own actions and the lack of discipline the school board has on these students. The last day of high school prompted many seniors to pull a series of pranks on their teachers ranging from profane tee shirts to taking teacher parking spaces.
Campbell was almost caught in a senior paint prank when Strickland saved him from it, which prompted Campbell to help Strickland fix his TV and VCR. Campbell caught a student messing with the TV features with the click of his smartphone and ratted it out to Strickland who then with anger threw and destroyed the student’s smartphone. As Strickland attempted to play the film again, he caught the same student with another phone, and thus unleashed his anger with a fire axe to destroy the student’s desk. Both Campbell and Strickland were brought to Principal Tyler’s office for questioning. Principal Tyler threatened that they would both be fired if no one spoke up and told the truth. As a result, Campbell broke under pressure and tattled on Strickland.
Strickland declared a fight against Campbell for what he had done and that he would pay the price for not having his back. Throughout this movie, Campbell struggles to balance his family life, maintaining his job position, and goes through many hilarious extremes in hopes of trying to avoid the fight.
Many unexpected twists and turns tied with utmost jokes will definitely get you stunned and laughing at the same time. There was not a minute in the movie where it got boring or predictable. Both Strickland and Campbell were unpredictable and ridiculously funny with everything they did.
Despite all the exuberant and chaotic energy there was an underlying meaning behind the movie. Campbell was bewildered because “teachers don’t get into fights” but the meaning behind Strickland’s declaration to fight him was because he wanted people to “pay the price” and accept the consequences for their actions. He was “tired of all” the students and staff at the school that never take any responsibility or care towards their actions.
Strickland wanted to get huge publicity for the fight against Campbell as a way to get attention for the issues occurring in the school system. This is relatable in that the educational school system today has many flaws that are not given enough focus and responsibility. Issues in the school system are avoided and get pulled behind curtains instead of being confronted with but at Roosevelt High School in Fist Fight Mr. Strickland challenges Mr. Campbell to a fight to challenge the school board to change the educational system.
In the end, the teachers fight one another with the acknowledgement and acceptance that they have to take responsibility in receiving the punishments for their behavior. Take a chance and watch this movie for good laughs, relatable moments, and inspiration.