The official student news site of Springbrook High School.

The Blueprint

Thanksgiving Around The World

Students share their Thanksgiving traditions

by Bethlehem Ashagire, Entertainment Editor

dsc_0112jpgCheyenne Gaima

“My family does different things each year ranging from seeing a movie to a traditional sit-down dinner at a table with our other family members. Of course we have turkey, but most of our table consists of traditional West African/Cameroonian meals including, but not limited to, rice and yams with stew, eru, plantains, and beignets.”

dsc_0109jpgVbhinay Marapaka

“On Thanksgiving my family meets at our aunt’s house and we then proceed to eat at the table. Food consists of the usual turkey mashed potatoes and stuffing. We also have rotisserie chicken and sweet potatoes but we have even more cultural food. A lot of Biryani and also different curries with white rice. After the food we chill for a little bit and the kids go and see a movie.”

dsc_0107jpgAseyah Alexander

“During the Thanksgiving Holiday, my family gets together at my aunt’s house and it’s like a potluck, everybody comes with a dish in their hands. The children eat first of course. A traditional West Indian/ Trinidadian meals include curry chicken, Callaloo and crab, macaroni pie (which is like mac and cheese, but baked). We also have stewed chicken, oxtail, and curried goat served with rice and peas, and of course roast turkey! After we eat we all sit down in the living room and watch the football game.”

dsc_0117jpgCarol Canales

“I’m Peruvian so we eat a lot of potato dishes and variety of meats. We have this pink potato salad that is made with beets, potatoes and mayo. My grandma has resided in the US for over 40 years so I get to have the typical turkey and ham, along with grandma’s apple pie. I cook potatoes and bacon as a side dish and my family eats quinoa as a salad. I’m so lucky to be able to enjoy both cultures and sit down and spend time with my family.”

dsc_0129jpgAnnie Lee

“For Thanksgiving this year, traditionally, my family and I meet up at my cousin’s house to reunite with one another. Talking about my family, they come from California, Florida, and Alaska! We have a big reunion to get caught up with our lives but obviously to stuff ourselves. We’re having turkey, mash potatoes, mac n’ cheese, but especially Vietnamese food like egg rolls and fried rice!”

dsc_0127jpgMehlat Tesfaye

“On Thanksgiving I have family that comes over from all over the place like Ohio, New Hampshire, Mississippi and Virginia to my house and we have a big feast. Since I am Ethiopian we have a mix of different foods like injera, doro whet, shiro, mac n’ cheese, potatoes, and lasagna. Afterwards we enjoy each others company by  socializing and playing games.”

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Entertainment

Wonder Woman Saves DCU

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Showcase

Nya signs with Wake Forest to continue football career

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Devils OT Sports Blog

NBA Top 10 moments in the season

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Opinion

The evolution of Prom

• Thanksgiving Around The World

News

MCPS Struggles To Close Achievement Gap

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Entertainment

’13 Reasons Why’ changes the game for Netflix shows

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Entertainment

Khalid’s ‘American Teen’ hits the charts

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Feature

Partners in Rhyme: Joony & Max.Freetown

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Showcase

Track team sprints into nationals

• Thanksgiving Around The World

Showcase

Bocce on a roll to their first state championship

Thanksgiving Around The World