Marching for a better America

If you haven’t heard, or have been living under a rock, students voiced their opinion by participating in a walkout to protest the hate president elect Donald Trump has been promoting.

“We will not accept the normalization of racism, islamophobia,homophobia, and misogyny,” stated in a post that was shared by various students prior to the walk out.

To go into further detail there was much more behind the reasoning for participating in the walk out.

“We wanted to go against the hate for women, muslims, the LGBTQ, immigrants etc,” senior Sohan Thakkar said.

On November 16th, students walked out carrying political posters, speakers and their voices.

“My school has realized that we are the future,” Leah Powell said.

Students met up with NEC schools, Blake and Paint Branch to walk to Colesville Park to rally. Following that, they walked to Martin Luther King Park to continue the rally.

“Many of us needed a way to channel those emotions and turn them into something. I felt so much pride for our community,”Blake High School senior Carlos Flores said.  

Protesters led the march in a peaceful way, which they have received a lot of praise from local news channels such as WUSA9.

The attitude towards the walk-out has received either amounts of praise or has been viewed as ‘useless.’

“We heard discouraging words, not just from classmates but from staff members,” sophomore Powell said.

The feedback most of the students received from rallying were along the lines of ‘he’s already president and we can’t change that,’ but students were aware and that was not the goal of the march.

“We are aware that a protest will not change the outcome of the election but we can stand together and have our voices heard,” senior Nahom Nega said.

What students were hoping to achieve is a foundation for love among the student body here at Springbrook. As well as in other schools like Blake and Paint Branch.

“It gives me so much hope for surviving the next four years together,” Flores said.