Miles to Go

Departing English teacher plans to volunteer and travel after retirement

”I’ve worked very hard for 44 years teaching and I just thought it was time to do something different,” English teacher Rita Miles said regarding the closing of her teaching career.

Retirement is a difficult decision. However, for Miles this isn’t the case.

“I’m coming to the ripe old age where retirement is legitimate,” Miles said.

Ms.Miles has taught at DC for 34 years has been at Springbrook for 10 years.

The veteran teacher stated that along with teaching the students, she also learns something everyday.

“When you’re a teacher, you learn something everyday along with your students. Learning to give unselfishly, talking to parents in a polite way and most importantly make learning fun,” Miles said.

After the retirement decision, the next big decision is “What’s next?”

Miles plans to volunteer at Catholic Charities, specifically at the Kennedy School, a school that teaches students with learning challenges.

“I want to work as a volunteer. In fact, I’ve dedicated 75 hours of service [as a volunteer] at the Kennedy School,” Ms.Miles said.

In addition to this volunteer work, Miles would like to just have extra time for herself.

“I would like to do some small trip traveling. If I want a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, I want to be able to get in my car and drive to Philly for the day,” Miles said.

Even though Miles is leaving books,lessons and classroom materials behind, she is taking with her memories from her career.

“I really enjoy when students perform little skits, when they created games to verify knowledge and the knowledge to have read books. I just like students in general,” Miles said.

In addition to the ninth grade students that have benefitted from Miles’ experience, so have the younger teachers in the English Department.

“She’s been outstanding with our ninth graders. This year particularly she worked with two new teachers, Ms.Moore and Ms.Dillon.Her leadership has made a huge impact on the success with the ninth grade class,” Cliff Cooper, the ninth grade English Resource teacher said.

In addition to providing leadership, Miles grew close to her colleagues, Emily Dillon and Melanie Moore.

“She has been really supportive, providing advice and more than willing to share materials if necessary. I’m going to miss having her warmth, fun and wisdom in our 9th grade planning team,” Ms.Dillon said.

The retiring ninth grade teacher isn’t done with Springbrook yet. She hopes to be able to substitute in the consortium.