Broken copiers cause commotion for staff and teachers

Springbrook staff makes hundreds of copies of papers every day; imagine what would happen if teachers could not make these copies. The teachers’ worst nightmare became a reality when the copiers were broken for approximately two days towards to end of September.

Teachers did the best they could to handle the situation. However, most teachers needed to change their plans.

“When the copiers went down, they forced teachers to switch from plan A to plan B and, sometimes, plan C,” English teacher Elizabeth O’Neill stated.

Most teachers depend on copiers to provide students with what they need to succeed. When they break down, certain subjects such as English cannot be taught as effectively.

“When there are subject areas that don’t have textbooks that are that dependent on making copies so students have the educational tools they need, it certainly causes a great deal of frustration for student and teachers.” O’Neill continued.

With tests, deadlines and due dates coming up, this matter forced teachers to go to extremes in order to provide handouts for their students. Some even paid for copies from their own pockets.

“Some teachers had to go out to Home Depot or Staples and make copies there with their own money,” English teacher David Nicholson stated.

Teachers’ reliance on the copiers slowed down teaching for many classes. Students that are used to getting handouts from teachers had to switch gears and copy notes the old fashioned way on the promethean boards.

“A lot of the teachers had to push back giving out handouts. It messed with the flow of the classroom,” senior Grace Koo shared.

Teachers plan to use this unfortunate disturbance as a teaching tool.

“To keep this from happening again, we all have to be careful about the way we use the copiers, knowing that they are fragile,” O’Neill said.

To ensure that this catastrophe does not happen again, the school board is working on getting Springbrook its third copier.

“There are five high schools that still don’t have a third copier and we are the next in line to get one,” Nicholson stated

Although there is no new information about when this copier will arrive or where it will go, knowing that there is an extra copier can lessen the stress of teachers.